Friday, September 24, 2010

Feline Friday~The Ups & Downs of Fostering

Sweet Kappy~those eyes melt my heart!

Kappy feeling much better & PLAYING!

Rich & Squeak having fun in the box!


Wrestle Mania with Zapp & Kappy

Well, after my last bunch of sicko kitties I was glad that my current kittos were all healthy & just needed fostering so they could grow big enough to be spayed & neutered.  All went well the first week & then poor little Kapow (I call him Kappy) decided to quit eating & began losing weight.  I took him in to be checked & was told he may have "Fading Kitten Syndrome" which is where for no particular reason the kitten just fails to thrive & that he might not make it.  I was devastated but NOT ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON HIM!  He seemed to do fine the first week I had him but I noticed he was only gnawing on his food & when drinking he wasn't lapping with his tongue but "sucking" like he was nursing.  When the other 4 kittens were romping & playing, he just wanted to curl up in my lap. He'd look at me with his big round eyes as if to say "I'm still here.  Don't give up on me."  Sniff...  I felt convinced  he was just a "late bloomer" & only needed more practice & a little help to mature.  I began syringe feeding him 4 times a day & he's also on 2 different meds.  Now 3 days later he's a different cat!  He's gained 7 ounces, is eating more on his own, has learned how to "lap" water correctly & today he was actually playing & wrestling with the other kitties!  I cried.  That's the "rewarding" part of fostering that keeps me doing this!  I can't wait for the day when I see his picture on the "Adopted" page!

My other 4 rascals are fat & happy & 3 are going back to the Humane Society today.  I'm keeping Squeak here to keep Kappy company while he gets bigger & healthier.

HOMECOMING GAME TONIGHT & DANCE TOMORROW!
Between kittens & kids activities maybe I'll get some painting in!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Fostering is not for the faint of heart. It's a tough job and it sounds like you are doing an awesome job! Everyone always assumed the hardest part was when you had to let go of the cat and see it go to a new home. That is the best part!

Good luck with your little guys!

Anonymous said...

That is SUPER news about Kappy! We hope he continues to see that life IS worth living and that his future will one day be rewarded by finding his furrever home!

Jill said...

You are absolutely right about fostering not being for the faint of heart W.P.! And I agree, seeing them get adopted is the best part!

Thank you & Kool-Kittie-Krew both for your good wishes!

meowmeowmans said...

What wonderful news! Thank you for not giving up, and hooray for Kappy! We will send our most rumbly purrs for him (and you!).

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Somehow you weren't showing up on my blogroll but I've fixed that now and can catch up! Good to hear you pulled Kappy thru with extra nursing care!