Monday, August 10, 2009

Volunteer Orientation Completed!


Hi everybody!

I went to my volunteer orientation at the Humane Society last Wednesday & now have 2 of the 4 steps done before I can start volunteering. Step 1 is filling out the application, Step 2 is the 2 1/2 hour orientation session & now I have Step 3 ~ Animal Handling Training & Step 4 ~ Personal Interview left. Sounds like a lot of stuff to go through just to volunteer but I'm glad they are so thorough about it. They've really put a lot of thought & research into the best ways to care for the animals & increase adoptions so I applaud them for that. I don't mind all the training. I did it all before back at their old building so I already know a lot of it. The orientation went great but I was dreading the video I knew we were watching. It showed the euthanasia process & I kept having to look down at my feet & hold back tears! Even the man next to me was sniffing! Oh boy... Anyway, I have Animal Handling Training next week & then my interview & then it's off to work! I'm gonna have a hard time trying to decide what I want to do! There are SO many possibilities! I'm leaning towards Cat Socializing (of course!), Catvocate, Business Office Helper, Housekeeping (laundry/dishes), Enrichment & TAG (transport animal group). I once drove 9 kittens to the Boulder, CO Humane Society. My daughter & I made a fun road trip out of it & then spent the night with my sister in Denver! I'd also like to start fostering kittens if I think my 2 resident cats won't flip out about it. I wish I had a separate little building I could keep stray & foster kitties in until they find homes! Maybe I'll win the lottery & make that dream come true!

On the art front: Just mailed off 2 paintings today & about to start on my commissioned one. Then I'll get to work on some fun fall themed creations!
By the way, I think our Humane Society logo could use a little updating don't you? They've had this one forever & it's kinda lame. I think since they have a new building they need a new logo to go with it! Maybe I should give them some ideas! Hmmmm...

3 comments:

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

MeowHoo! Concats on the path you are seeking...You'll be an asset and feel good about your involvement. Yes, I can see a calico cat and a calico dog curles up like in your painting on your blog...that'd be cute!

snippetgirl said...

It sounds like your Humane Society really has it together! That is SO great, and they are SO lucky to have you involved. I know that you will be a huge asset at any of those tasks.
I wish i could have a little cat foster building too. I keep foster kittens in my upstairs art room, but i wish I had a larger space.
Purrs,
Carrie

Poppy Q said...

Well done, we know you are going to be a great volunteer and all those kitties are going to love your loving.

I am with the furrydance kids. Maybe you should dummy up some logos for them, and see what they think.