Friday, May 1, 2009

Stormy Weather!

Tornado in a west suburb of Wichita
Storm clouds by our house




Flooding in Wichita



Wow! Mother Nature is really making up for lost time here in Wichita! It's been storming & raining on & off for the past couple weeks & it's not over yet. We got 6 inches of rain last Sunday afternoon & the tornado sirens went off twice! We headed for the basement the first time because our cable had gone out due to the storm & we weren't sure where the tornado was. After we got a radio turned on we found out it was on the other side of the city from us so we came back up. The 2nd siren was for another funnel not nearby so we didn't worry. It's actually been a long time since we've had to hit the basement for a tornado warning.

There was a lot of flooding in Wichita but luckily nothing too close to our house. Our sump pump is sure working overtime though! Of course I LOVE storms so I'm enjoying all this! Everything is turning a beautiful deep green! If we had any hills around here it would look like Ireland!
My daughter's high school softball team was supposed to have 4 games this week & every one got cancelled. Two of the games were make-ups from rainouts before ~ ha! Oh well, maybe the fields will dry up for next week. Happy weekend everybody!!!

3 comments:

Once Upon A Blue Crow said...

I don't like clouds like that at all or storms :]
I don't mind the May flowers though!

Jill said...

I guess I need to clarify my love of storms. I love the wind picking up before a storm, the clouds rolling in, the rumble of thunder & the sound of rain. It's even better if I'm painting or reading a good book at the time. I DO NOT enjoy tornadoes & the devastation they cause or any damage a storm's wind or lightning may create. Flooding is awful. I always think about the poor animals that might be trapped. Anyway, I guess you can say I love the friendly storms! Stay dry everybody ~ Jill

snippetgirl said...

Wowee, Jill! Those are some serious photos. You guys stay safe and dry!!! I am with you on worrying about the animals (of course!!).
Take care and many hugs,
Carrie